Friday, June 28, 2013

Poppy's Pick: The Bones Series by Kim Fielding

Welcome to the second edition of Poppy's Pick! I'm often asked by friends for recommendations of gay paranormal romance novels, so I decided to share ones that I love here on my blog so others could find them as well!

This week's recommendation is The Bones Series by the lovely and talented Kim Fielding.

I absolutely love shifter books. That's no surprise to anyone, I'm sure. I say it often and loudly. *g* I was really intrigued by the "lone wolf" aspect of Good Bones, the first book in The Bones Series.

Dylan is not your typical werewolf character in any way. No really. He's not. In fact, this book reads very much like a contemporary romance, which I loved. Dylan just has one itsy bitsy little problem: he happens to be a werewolf.

With so many variations on the shifter theme out there, what really drew me into this book was how different it is from the typical shifter tropes. There isn't a pack presence, no "I am Alpha hear me ROAR" character, and the shifter aspect is handled in a really deft and clever way.

We learn about Dylan's "affliction" in bits and pieces. His past unfolds as Dylan continues to learn what it means to be a werewolf and we learn more about it along with him. I loved that Dylan really had no clue what he was doing! His instincts guided him, and he did his best with what has happened to him.

Then there's Chris, Dylan's new neighbor and love interest. Chris is an amazing character. He's fun and atypical as well and such a great fit for Dylan. Talk about opposites!!!

Dylan and Chris work together to fix up the dilapidated old house Dylan bought in an effort to get himself out of the city and away from the possibility to hurt anyone when he changes into his wolf. I could wax poetic about it more, but really, you should just read it. It's a really great character piece and I enjoyed it so much that I was bouncing around excitedly when I learned the second book was out and available!

 Buried Bones picks up where Good Bones left off and continues Dylan and Chris's story. This one adds in a little twist in the form of a ghost! Now, I have to confess that I had a moment of doubt when I read that--a ghost? Really? But I should have trusted Kim! She made it work beautifully and the ghost element in this story added a richness to the world that was both exciting and heartbreaking!

The past comes back to haunt our couple--literally--and while Dylan and Chris are trying to find a way to get rid of their extra house guest, Dylan is still trying to figure out if he can really be part of a couple. What if he hurts Chris?

All in all, a fabulous series that is very different from the typical shifter stories you'll find out there. Recommended for folks who like great character development with less focus on the paranormal aspects (but the shifter stuff is there too). I think you'll love Dylan and Chris's relationship as much as I did!

And as an added Bonus Pick, have you read Kim Fielding's other novel, Brute? Now, it's not exactly paranormal--okay, it's not paranormal at all. It's a fantasy but I promise you, it is worth the read paranormal fans! Brute is going to go down as one of my all-time favorite characters ever. I laughed and cried, and cried, and probably cried a little more.

I really can't explain this one other than to say it packs a huge emotional punch. It's really lovely and the world building is amazing. And Brute. Have I mentioned Brute?? *sigh*

All in all, I'd say if you haven't read a Kim Fielding book, you're really missing out! Hunt her down, buy her books, read them. You'll become a fan too. I promise.

You can find all of these books, plus others, and information on how to track Kim down on her author page at Dreamspinner Press.

Click here to find out more.


See you all next month for another edition of Poppy's Picks!











No comments:

Post a Comment