Monday, May 13, 2013

Couch to 5k: Day 1

C25K
Today I'm starting a really exciting adventure toward good health: the Couch to 5k running program. Since I need a little accountability, I'm telling you all about it!

See, this writing gig I've got is pretty cool. It's my dream job! There aren't many downsides to it, to be honest. I mean, yeah, writer's block sucks big giant hairy donkey nuts, but it's really not the end of the world or anything!

There is one thing that is a really bad drawback though. I like to think of it as Chair Butt. You know what I mean, I'm sure. It's what happens when you sit on your rear end all day working and not working out!

GRL Retreat, Poppy Dennison
Poppy and Amy DiMartino-GRL Retreat 2011
For the past year, I've been on a quest to take better care of myself. See, back in 2011 I went to the Gay Romance Lit Retreat in New Orleans. After the event, as I was sorting through the gazillion pictures I took, I found myself really frustrated with my size. I didn't want to be that heavy and knew I needed to make some serious changes. It started with my diet and I'm happy to report that I'm down 50 pounds. It's taken a lot of hard work, but it's totally worth it!

Poppy Dennison, Amy DiMartino
Poppy and Amy-February 2013
My friend Amy had a similar epiphany. That gal has rocked it out and lost a ton of weight. Those of you who know her have watched her journey along with me. She's amazing and an inspiration to me! Just over a year into our commitment to change our lifestyles and she is hardly recognizable!

Now it's time for the next phase of my adventure: getting in better shape. And that's where Couch to 5k (C25K) comes into play.

A year ago, I could barely walk down to get the mail without losing my breath. It's easier now without carrying so much extra weight, but I still have a long way to go to get to the me I want to be.

Running has always been on my "can't do it" list. I don't know why, really. I just got it into my head that I couldn't. For those of you who know me and the changes in attitude I've made over the past few years, you'll know that the "can't do" has become a "you can do it" challenge.

Another change in my life is that I've surrounded myself with people who encourage me and support me. I'm very blessed to have amazing friends. One of the things I noticed is that those friends were often saying things like "okay, I'm off to the gym". Those simple statements became nods of encouragement to me, whether my friends realized it or not.

I finally got my head in the right space and moved working out from my "can't do" to my "must do" list. Today, I did the Day One workout on the C25K program. And I did it. All the way through. I walked and jogged for 30 minutes and *gasp* nothing bad happened. I didn't get struck by lightning, I didn't fall over in a slump.

I've decided to share this journey of mine with you! If you're interested in doing the Couch to 5k program, I'd love for you to do it with me! You can find more information about it here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml. I highly recommend downloading the playlists so you'll have tunes to work out to! There are several available and man, did it make today's workout easier.

Jogging 5k here comes Poppy!




3 comments:

  1. wow I'm totally going to do this. Thank you for sharing! There is going to be a "color run" 5k in my area in October.... I'm making that my goal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And you're so welcome! Let me know how you're doing! It inspires me to keep going when I know folks are doing it with me! I highly recommend downloading one of the podcasts available! It's awesome to have the music set up and it gives you instructions on when to switch from walking to jogging! There are a few available with different styles of music! So exciting!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm so proud of you!!! And yes you can workout! You'll be amazed at how much easier it becomes in as little as a week :D Then when it gets to where it's not wearing you out and making you sore just bump it up a notch....
    Hugs,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete