Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Wildest Fantasy, or Why Alphas?

Recently over on the M/M Romance group at Goodreads, the topic of Alpha males emerged. There was a bit of contention, some of it on my part, as to what *exactly* being an alpha means.

Dear Santa, I've been a good girl. Can I have him? Love Poppy
Here's the thing. As far as I'm concerned, an alpha is that dream man who will come along and sweep me off my feet. He's handsome and strong, and will beat the tar out of anyone who messes with me. Okay, I may have embellished that last bit. I can't help it. I've been listening to this Bubblegum Rock station on Pandora and "My Boyfriend's Back" was playing. Oh yeah, you're gonna be in trouble!

Most of us get tired of carrying the burden all alone. Some of us are lucky enough to have Spouses, Mates, or Significant Others who help us out. Some of us aren't.

There's gotta be a good reason the alpha male trope has been around for such a long time. He fulfills a fantasy that's hard to come by in real life. Then again, most of us don't want him around all the time. We're strong enough on most days to kick ass and take names on our own. But some days, oh some days wouldn't it be nice to have someone be our white knight upon a fiery steed?

Can I quote any other songs here? *must turn off the Bubblegum Rock station*



So, I'm curious, what does an alpha mean to you? Why do you want them in your romances?

5 comments:

  1. Alphas aren't just alphas because they like to be the boss. There are lots of bossy people who you don't want to listen to. I think an alpha has the charisma to make others want to obey him. Also, his motivation is not selfish, his orders and rules are made to care for those he feels he's responsible to keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Jase. I think Alphas have an innate charisma. You know they're strong, so you're willing to follow them and trust them. They have good hearts. *nods and whispers* Kinda like you.

      Delete
  2. I agree Poppy! I am single atm and I am a very dominant person, but I long for that "alpha" to come along and do exactly that sweep me off my feet! you go girl.

    And I finally got here to the blog! YAY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Poppy, I'm here, better late than never!

    I want my Alpha, a little bit bad and a little bit mysterious but a big marshmallow inside. Someone to come and take me away! It sure would have been interesting to have Jason in on our discussion, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Poppy, better late than never! I want my Alpha to be a little bit bad, a little bit mysterious but a big marshmallow inside. Someone who will take me away! *sigh* Poppy don't you think Jason would have made our Alpha discussion a lot more interesting!

    ReplyDelete